Thursday, April 10, 2008

(Portfolio) The Cuba diet is not for me!

I'm actually touching up a post from last week I never got to put up because of some unrelated problems with our Comcast connection (don’t get me started), but nonetheless, here it is. This past week I tried something new…it’s called the Cuba Diet and I definitely found out it was not for me.

I started by calculating out how many calories I take in on any given day and I came up with a ballpark figure of 4000-5000 calories. That seemed a little high, especially since recommended is around 2500, but my math checked out. Four to five good meals a day plus snacking is what I use to keep me going (loving food makes it a little easier to be eating all the time). So I knew right away trying to experience what Cubans had been going through was going to be tough but I figured I would try it anyway.

Dumb idea. I got up the next morning and had a pretty small breakfast. Two hours later my stomach was growling so I had a few handfuls of pretzels. That kept me running until lunch but again nothing too fancy, just a couple of sandwiches. Mid-afternoon rolled around and again my stomach was begging me for some more food so I popped some wheat thins and made it to dinner; cooked myself up some chicken and rice with a nice teriyaki sauce. So by then end of the day, I’d say my caloric intake was probably in the range of 2000 calories.

I have no idea how a person could do that day after day especially working. I was hungry most of the day and all I did was sit around and either do homework or watch TV. If I would have thrown in working out or anything physical, I probably would have passed out. I guess I could probably get used to eating like that but I think it would take some time. Basically what I’m trying to say is that I’m glad that the caloric intake of the Cubans is back to normal because the Cuban Diet is not the way to go.

No comments: