I enjoyed the obento exchange today; I actually thought it was a lot of fun. There were definitely some interesting ingredients we had at our disposal. The rice and seaweed were pretty normal to me since I eat a lot of sushi and I really enjoyed the salmon flakes, they gave a nice flavor to the rice, but I found that the fish tube things were definitely a little weird; not only taste but the texture as well. There were two other things I found to be a little weird, one was red and one was yellow. I don’t really remember what they were called but they both had an interesting taste. My favorite part was definitely the pepper. It had a little bit of a kick to it which I’ll admit surprised me, but I thought it was pretty good.

Image Credit: Ann Anagnost
Actually making an obento box was a good experience because it opened up a whole new door for me. Now I’m not saying that I’ll be making these from now on and taking them to class with me (not enough food plus too much time to make it) but it is definitely interesting to see what a mother has to go through in the morning to make her kids’ lunches. To these little Japanese kids, it is just a lunch but to me, it is an art form. It just amazes me the way everything is put together and organized.
No comments:
Post a Comment