Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Obento, oh really?

Food has always tasted better when it is aesthetically pleasing. I like food that looks good because most of the time it is good. There are definitely some exceptions to this rule; pizza comes to mind, it’s usually not that attractive but damn it sure is good. Food to me is an art form; the way it is presented on a plate, the way one color contrasts another or the way they complement each other. This is why the idea behind a bento box is so appealing to me.

It was interesting not only to hear to what Andrea had to say but to listen to what the Japanese students talked about as well. For them, a bento box is just a lunch but to us it is almost like an art piece. I think back to my days of a packed lunch (brown paper sack, PB&J, string cheese, an apple, and a thermos full of milk) and I wonder if there is any way to make that look as appetizing as a bento box. I can’t think of any, but maybe y’all can.

I look forward to making my own bento box or at least attempting it, but I will never be able to make it as good as this

2 comments:

Seth said...

I wish my mom packed a bento box for me when i was going to grade school.. lucky for me, my host-mom in Japan did. I have been wanting to make rice balls ever since and now I have the means to do it fast and easy: Rice Cooker!

Beth said...

That Mario lunch looks exactly like the one you made for me. Really, I can't tell the two apart. It's bloody uncanny.