Friday, May 23, 2008

(Portfolio) To be or not to be... a vegetarian

I don’t know if I ever really made a conscious decision to eat meat, it’s just how I’ve always been; I love a good steak (in fact I just had one that was excellent). I don’t have anything against vegetarians or vegans, I just like red meat. If you choose not to eat meat, or any animal products for that matter, that’s your choice, but that’s not for me.

Vegetarians and vegans complain about the slaughtering of animals for the production of meat, yet they eat plants while they’re still alive and photosynthesizing. Just because plants don't have a mouth to cry out doesn't really make it any better. I know that sounds a little silly, but if you think about it, it’s true.

Michael Pollan poses the idea that as everything in today’s industrial world is highly dependent on fossil fuels (which of course harm the planet in every imaginable way). Therefore, possibly the most ethical thing is to eat animals, as more fossil fuels would be necessary to raise and transport vegetarian approved foods.

I do agree that the conditions in which the animals live and ultimately die are pretty miserable and I do think there could be something done about that, I just don’t think not eating meat all together is really the solution to that problem.

During our cooking adventure yesterday, we prepared vegan lentil soup and I’ll admit it wasn’t bad. I kept feeling like it was missing something though. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it until one of our classmates said this would be good as a stew and that’s when it hit me; the soup needed some meat to it. Now I’m not saying that meat was a necessity, but I just think the soup would have been richer with some pieces of flank steak or maybe some tender chunks of lamb and of course maybe a little more spice.

No comments: