Friday, May 2, 2008

(Portfolio) The future of food is not looking so good

What is the future of food? I asked my girlfriend this same question and her answer was full meals in pill form. To her, it would be more efficient because you could pack a whole day’s worth of nutrition into one little pill. Meals would take only a minute or two and we’d be full after just a single pill. The sad part is that I actually believe there is some truth in what she says. The film, The Future of Food discusses the dependence of humans on a limited number of global food corporations and the increased risk of ecological disasters resulting from the reduction of biological diversity (something I actually talked about in a Environmental Anthropology class I took a while back) due to the promotion of corporate sponsored monoculture farming.

In our current food crisis, we will not survive a famine caused by a lack of diversity in our crops. Even if we are able to protect the crops against such a disaster, our soil cannot last much longer because of our intensive agricultural lifestyle. Eventually someone has to step in with a solution or our food crisis is going to get even worse. I fear one solution might be “pilled” food. To a pharmaceutical, it would be cheap to produce because they already have to facilities to do it. This a grim end to food but if we keep going to way we are, is there really any other way?

No comments: